Congregation Rodeph Shalom
This project involves the restoration of the Ner Tamid (eternal light) from the original Rodeph Shalom building designed by Frank Furness in 1869 and relocated to its current location in 1927. During relocation, the fixture was converted from gas to electric and was re-hung with chain rather than a stem. The restoration included the duplication of a missing flashed ruby red glass panel with an ornate ground pattern, duplication of two missing cast brass leaves and re-finishing.
The refinishing involved stripping several coats and colors of peeling paint and application of a new lacquer finish in the original color. Under the coats of paint, we found a dedication plate from the donor of the fixture (photo below). Most of the metal is terne plate (lead-coated iron) and the surface texture is rather rough, with lumps of solder noticeable under the paint. Since this was part of the original construction, we felt that the fixture should be left intact, including defects.